Gas Safety Certificate as part of Gas safety inspections

Gas safety inspections

Gas safety inspections

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

A Certificate issued to a landlord after a Gas Safe engineer has completed a gas safety check. It means that all the gas appliances, fittings and flues have been checked. That they are efficient and safe within the in that last 12 month period. Sometimes called CP12 certificates. They are a legal requirement for anyone renting a property. The certificate reports all the checks completed during the inspection. The Gas Safe Register is the official issuing body in the UK.

Who can provide a Gas safety certificate?

You must use a certified Gas safe engineer to carry out your check. If you don’t then you won’t receive the proper legal certification you need.

Here at Paul Tilford Plumbing and Heating we have all the accreditations necessary. We carry out thorough and extensive gas safety inspections. Both for domestic and commercial customers.

Full inspections on all equipment that use gas are vital to on-going safety. Our expert engineers will provide full system and ventilation checks to ensure compliance.

These services are available to anyone. Landlord and housing associations plus buyers looking for assurance. Confirmation that their new home is safe. We can provide all the relevant certification to form part of the buyer’s report.

What’s included in the CP12 Gas Safety Certificate check?

Your Gas Safe engineer will carry out the following. They will then issue your Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate for the year. The will check:

  • your appliances for gas tightness
  • the standing and working gas pressure (if test points are available)
  • burner pressure/gas pressure against the manufacturer’s data plate
  • satisfactory provision of all necessary ventilation
  • test the flue flow to ensure the removal of products of combustion
  • safety devices work
  • any misuse of gas devices or items


If left unchecked, your appliances could pose many risks. Potentially leaking deadly carbon monoxide gas. Contact our Gas Safe accredited team today to arrange your gas safety inspection.

What else can I do?

You are not responsible for any gas appliance’s your tenants bring with them. But it’s a good idea to get them checked in your inspection. You should also make sure your tenants know what to do in an emergency. Make sure they know how and where to turn the gas off. You must provide a working carbon monoxide alarm.

Does a landlord have to provide a carbon monoxide detector?

Yes. You must provide a working carbon monoxide alarm. These should be in any room used as living accommodation. You musy change them at the start of every new tenancy.

This could be a room where there’s a log burning stove. A wood burner or open fire or a gas fire. An open fire that’s decorative and unusable is exempt.

To find out more about your responsibilities as a Landlord click here.